Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reading, admiring, and kyoukan suru-ing

"My greatest defect is that my entire being is sometimes irresistibly attracted to a passing emotion and I lose my balance of spirit. [...] I am not the least bit afraid of what people may think of me. I know that there are more than a few people that hate me. As long as I am dealing with such objective reality, I am not the least perturbed. I am not a coward in such matters. But there are certain feelings that steal into my heart and try to ensnare me, and in their presence my own heart becomes the most terrifying of all things."

--from Claudius's Journal, a rewriting of sorts of Hamlet by Shiga Naoya.

trans. Francis Mathy

2 comments:

  1. i was like "who could possibly hate damon" then i realized it was a quote

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you forgot -- kyoukan is written as 共感 if it helps. One each from freshman and sophomore years, that I know of at least.

    Soph wrote something recently too, about starting to accept that you cannot help offending some people. Not sure I agree with that* but maybe it's a fact of life for most people...

    *http://www.amazon.com/Face-Another-Kobo-Abe/dp/0375726535 gives an interesting starting place for it. Or maybe an elevated form of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honne_and_tatemae

    ReplyDelete