Friday, March 4, 2011

What am I going to do with my life?

Am I callused from just one rejection?
Or have I understood the essence of 就職 once or for all?
Granted, the first (JET CIR) was the one thing I really wanted to do, the thing I thought I was destined to do and perfect for. I got ahead of the results and was already making plans for what I was going to do and how to do it, and when and where I was going to go, and I was devastated when I did not make it past the first round. I felt as if I didn't even have a chance to show myself.
This one, for the admissions office, is strange. Is different. やり切ったって感じだよ。頑張ったって感じだよ。I went out and bought my own suit, bought lasting razors and shaving cream and applied what I taught myself (trial and error) about shaving in Tokyo, made the decision not to cut my hair, showed up early for the interview, answered truthfully and said everything that I wanted to say (cf. the Ervin scholarship interview from when I was a pre-frosh... how different my life could have been! I heard some people got it even though they didn't interview too, so that's a clue to how bad it was...). I didn't send a thank you note for the interview or ask follow up questions*, but I am not hung up over that, and they were very separate from the idea that it would somehow help my application... Still I find it kind of strange. That I am finding it truthful, there was one door I did not close on myself (どうしようもなく気の毒に reviews from past experiences working on campus probably did not help though, and JET counts as that because of a subpar application and not enough research on the types of essays to write and which consulate to apply to...), and once it did a lot of pressure lifted, and many other opportunities suddenly became wide open.

Unless I somehow get into a master's program in China, decide to take up English teaching in Japan/Korea/Taiwan/China or get a sweet internship in DC, I will be here volunteering and improving my language skills, and I am excited. (What are my fears though? :) Thanks, Explore)

Have to remember to ask to be taught how to process international student forms, etc... one more skill to 身につく.

Went to A Midsummer Night's Dream with Jihee.
I haven't laughed (like that) in a while...
僕という雨男
But I might get to go to AXE Dave and Buster's because of it...!

Was going to make my mom order those stupid announcements, but this morning she told me she couldn't. Not that she didn't know how to use the website, but that she doesn't know anything. Majors, honors, etc. Just reminded me of how many people contributed positively to my education (were not neutral or just distractions) and how small that number actually is. I think I understood then why she wanted to pay for them herself.

*Which I have. But I really hate emails. When admissions hires someone from outside the university, how do they acclimate them to the environment; how can someone not from WU talk about it? And apply those strategies for Explore/Discover...

No comments:

Post a Comment